The Short Inca Trail to Machu Picchu 2 Days is a popular alternative to the esteemed Classic 4 Day Inca Trail Trek to Machu Picchu. Short Inca Trail Hike is one of our signature treks. We have crafted this itinerary to offer you the best and the most at complete leisure and comfort.
Dotted with notable Inca sites and luscious landscapes along the way, the Short Inca Trail Hike takes you on a 10-kilometers (6.3 miles) hike from the trailhead at Km 104. The trailhead is named after its distance from Cusco on the way to Machu Picchu.
The 2 Day Inca Trail hike is quite a popular trek among families. You won’t be hiking through high mountain passes or will be camping outdoors as on Classic Inca Trail. You will be spending the night in a comfortable hotel room in Aguas Calientes town.
On the second day of the Short Inca Trail Hike, you will be visiting the emblematic lost city of the Incas, Machu Picchu. Accompanied by our English-speaking local tour guide, you will get immersive insights into different sectors of the Inca citadel.
We offer tickets on Voyager-class (Inca Rail) or Expedition Class (Peru Rail). To enhance your experience, you may consider upgrading to the Vistadome train that offers a 360 degrees view. If so, do let us know at the time of booking the tour so we can check the availability.
Why do the Short Inca Trail hike with us?
Auqui Peru is a licensed Inca Trail operator. We have an excellent team of local tour guides who have hiked the Inca Trail over a hundred times. They have immense knowledge about the Andean traditions and Inca history.
Do take a moment to see our reviews on Tripadvisor.
Inca Trail Permit:
To protect the authenticity of the trail, local authorities have imposed restrictions on hiking the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu. Only 500 people are allowed to hike Inca Trail each day. This number includes porters, guides, and cooks. So barely 200 travelers get to hike the trail a day.
You will need permits which are often sold out six months in advance. In order to secure your place, we highly recommend that you deposit at least 50% of the total cost while booking the tour so we can get all permits in advance.
We will also need a copy of your passport to book your Inca Trail Permit and Entrance ticket to Machu Picchu citadel.
|PROGRAM||SHORT INCA TRAIL & MACHU PICCHU 2D/1N|
|LENGTH||2 Days /1 Nights|
|AVAILABILITY||March to January|
|DIFFICULTY||DIFFICULT – MODERATE.|
DAY 1: CUSCO / MACHU PICCHU / AGUAS CALIENTES
We will be picking you up from your hotel in Cusco and transferring you to Pory or Ollantaytambo Train station, depending on the availability of the train at the time of booking the tour.
You will be boarding an Aguas Calientes bound train and get down at Km.104 – Cachabamba (2200m / 7217ft.). This is the trailhead of the Short Inca Trail Hike.
The train ride offers an incredible view of the highland villages and farmlands as the train will be snaking from Peruvian Andes to the cloud forest.
After passing through the security control, we will start our Short Inca Trail hike with a guided tour of the archaeological site of Cachabamba.
After getting a brief introduction to the Inca civilization here, we will gradually hike up the hill five kilometers to Wiñay Wayna archaeological site (2700m/8858ft). It is a three hours climb. We will have several stops along the way. The guide will explain about different flora and fauna distinct to the region.
Wiñay Wayna in Quchua means forever young. It is an unmissable site along the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu. The complex is divided into three sectors – religious, agricultural and urban. All these sectors are united by ceremonial water fountains.
After a detailed tour of this impressive complex, we will be stopping at the campsite to unbox our lunch.
After lunch, we will embark on an hour’s hike to the Sungate or Inti Puku (2700m/8858ft). From here, you will get the first glimpse of Machu Picchu citadel.
We will have a brief stop here so you can contemplate the captivating view of the Incan Masterpiece. Once you have had your fill of the view, we will descend for another 40 minutes to a checkpoint.
We will then embark on a 25 minutes bus ride down the hill to Aguas Calientes town. We will be accommodating you in an ensuite hotel room in Aguas Calientes. Later in the evening, we will be meeting for dinner.
MEALS: Box Lunch. Dinner in a restaurant in Aguas Calientes.
DAY 2: MACHU PICCHU TO CUSCO
The epic day of Short Inca Trail to Machu Picchu 2 Days. We will be leaving quite early in the morning from your hotel in Aguas Calientes and embark on a bus ride up the hill to Machu Picchu.
Our tour guide will assist you in clearing the security control. Once inside, you will witness the golden rays of the rising sun shimmering on the Inca walls. We will be giving you an immersive guided tour of the citadel for two hours.
We will be visiting the remains of the plaza, ceremonial site, remains of Royal Quarters, and more. After the tour, you will have some free time to explore Machu Picchu on your own. If you have booked to climb Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu mountain, our tour guide will direct you to the respective trailhead.
Please note that you need permits to hike any of these mountains. Often permits are sold out six months in advance. So if you intend to hike, do let us know at the time of booking your Short Inca Trail hike.
After the Machu Picchu tour, we will exit the citadel and take a bus back down to Aguas Calientes. You will have some free time here to check out the town or have lunch (not included in the price)
Later in the evening, we will be taking the train back to Ollantaytambo in the Sacred Valley of the Incas. Our representative will meet you on arrival and drive you back to Cusco. We will be reaching Cusco by 0900 PM.
MEALS: Breakfast in the hotel.
- A briefing two days before the trek
- Transport in private bus to the train station
- Transfer back to your hotel upon return
- Transfer from Ollantaytambo to Cusco
- Meals according to your program box lunch. and dinner (vegetarian available)
- Box Lunch, delicious box lunch, (vegetarian optional)
- Snacks before of the hike. first day.
- 1 bottle of water per person to drink on the way, if you need more you can buy it before the start of the hike.
- Professional English, Spanish, and Quechua speaking guide
- Assistant Guide for groups of more than 8 people
- Celebration dinner in Aguas Calientes at a restaurant
- Entrance to Inca Trail and Machu Picchu
- Bus down from Machupicchu to Aguas Calientes, on the first day.
- bus up and down back to Machu Picchu the next day.
- Roundtrip tourist train, Expedition from Ollantaytambo Aguas Calientes to Cusco
- Hotel in Aguas Calientes with private bathroom and hot water, This hike includes one night in a three-star (private groups), hotel in Aguas Calientes, the town, and upgrades are always possible the hotel if you want. 4 and 5 Stars hotel.
- First Aid Equipment and oxygen
- Lunch on the second day
- Tips for the guide
WHAT TO BRING ON THE TREK
- 1 small nylon reinforced backpack to carry the things you need for the trek (camera, drinks, etc.)
- Hiking boots
- Tennis shoes
- 1 Jacket or poncho with hood (nylon, wind and water-resistant)
- 1 Fleece Jacket
- 1 bottle of water
- 1 sunhat and sunglasses
- Personal medications and toiletries in small containers
- Sunscreen for your skin and lips
- Insect repellent
- Moisturizer lotion to avoid the drying out of the skin
- Bathing suit for the thermal baths in Aguas Calientes
- Professional walking sticks can be rented in the office for $2 per day. They are rubber-tipped, which is the rule for the trek.
- Energy foods: chocolates, granola bars, dried fruits, etc. (they can be purchased in Cusco.
Prices 2022 to January 2023. Short Inca Trail & Machu Picchu – 2 Days / 1 Night.
Group Service Price. Reserve Now!
- 2 people $550 per person
- 3 people $525 per person
- 4 people $495 per person
- 5 people $475 per person
- 6 + people $455 per person
Private service price. Reserve now!!
- 1 people $850 per person
- 2 people $640 per person
- 3 people $550 per person
- 4 people $515 per person
- 5 people $480 per person
- 6 + people $465 per person
If you wish to travel alone, you need to ask for a private tour and must let us know when you make your reservation
If you wish to go with other people, we can let you know what dates are available and you can join an existing group.
Write to us to make your reservation and we will send you the form and the payment conditions
Students: $20 U.S. (only for students who have a current international student card (ISIC card)
Children: $20 U.S. (minors of 16 years with proof of passport