Choquequirao is the second most important archeological site in Cusco. It has a connection with the last Inca cities of Vilcabamba and with Machu Picchu and is in the middle of different Inca roads that traverse all of the Inca empire. We can see on our journey, various villagers who live in all of the area of Yanama, as well as glaciers, valleys and mines of silver and lead from the past that were being exploiting until just a few years ago. You must join us on this unforgettable adventure.
|PROGRAM||CHOQUEQUIRAO – CLASSIC|
|LENGTH||5 Days /4 Nights|
|AVAILABILITY||March to December|
|DIFFICULTY||DIFICULT – MODERATE.|
DAY 1: CUSCO – CACHORA – CHIQUISCA
We leave the city of Cusco at 6:00 in the morning, in the direction of the village of Cachora, (2850msnm) from where we beginour trek. We trek for around 3 hours until the place called Capuliyoc, where we can see in the distance the archaelogical site of Choquequiraw, in the canyon of APURIMAC where we take our lunch. Afterwards, we continue our descent for about 3 hours more to our campsite at Chiquisá (1950msnm).
MEALS: Lunch, Dinner
DAY 2: CHIQUISCA – CHOQUEQUIRAO
After breakfast, very early, we return to the trek, descending until the Puente Rosarinas where we cross the Apurímac river to begin the ascent to our first rest stop, Santa Rosa. Here we can enjoy chicha de caña (cambray) and after continue climbing until the small village of Maranpata where we will have lunch with a beautiful view. Afterwards, we continue to our campsite at Choquequirao (2850msnm). If the tourists feel they have energy, they can visit the archaelogical site in the afternoon, where they can see the sunset and have the first explanation, later descending to the campsite.
MEALS: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
DAY 3: CHOQUEQUIRAO
Today if we did not have the opportunity to see everything the day before, we can stay at the camp one day so we can spend the morning and afternoon exploring all the corners of the citadel, and see both the sunrise and sunset in Choquequirao. The flight of the condor con normally be seen with the setting of the sun.
MEALS: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
DAY 4: CHOQUEQUIRAO — COCAMASANA
On the 4th day, after we are satisfied with our visit of Choquequirao, we begin our return trip by the same route towards Maranpata. We descend until the Apurimac river from where we make our ascent to Chiquisca; there we can take a cold shower to relax from the heat. We have our lunch and continue our climb until we reach our campsite, Cocamasana.
MEALS: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
DAY 5: COCAMASANA – CACHORA – CUSCO
On this day, we contiue climbing for some 3 hours until the view point of Capuliyoc where we can see for the last time the Inca construction of Choquequirao and we can say farewell. Later we continue our trek in the direction of Cachora where we will have our last lunch and say goodbye to our staff that helped us, and take the bus to return to Cusco. We leave you at your hotel. End of services.
MEALS: Breakfast, Lunch
The time of hiking will depend on the group. The guide can change the places for having lunch and camping according to the physical condition of the group.
Each guide has his own way of leading his groups but always his decisions will be for the benefit of the tourists.
CHOQUEQUIRAO. This is an adventure tour that we must enjoy, to the maximum with good weather or, if not, always we must have an open mind, a positive attitude and a good sense of humor.
- An explanation two days before departing
- Tranport in private bus to the start of the trek
- Transfer to your hotel on return
- Meals according to the program (Vegetarian available)
- Boiled water on all days for your bottles
- Snacks before walking
- Camping tents for 2 and 4 persons depending on the requirements
- Camping equipment, dining tents, kitchen, tables, chairs
- Cook and assistent cook
- Kitchen/eating utensils
- Pack animals (mules and horses) to carry the baggage and equipment.
- Emergency horse
- Wranglers to care for the pack animals
- Professional guide who speaks English, Spanish and Quechua
- Assistant guide for groups larger than 8 people
- Entrance tickets to Choquequirao
- First aid equipment and oxygen tank
- Breakfast the first day
- Dinner the last day
- Tips for personnel: guide, cook, wranglers (according to their job)
- Sleeping bags (they can be rented in the office)
- If you would like to rent an additional horse, the cost is $10 per day
WHAT TO BRING ON THE TREK
- 1 small nylon reinforced backpack to carry the things you need for the trek (camera, drinks, etc.)
- 1 large backpack or suitcase to keep the things you don‘t need in your hotel in Cusco until you return from your trek
- Sleeping bag good for -5°C (which can be rented in Cusco)
- Small flashlight and extra batteries
- 1 water bottle (1 liter) or a small plastic throw away bottle
- Hiking boots
- Tennis shoes
- 1 jacket (of nylon with hood and water and wind resistant)
- 1 Fleece Jacket
- 1 pair of gloves and hat of wool (they can be bought during your trip)
- 3 or 4 short sleeved shirts (preferably “dryfit” that don’t retain water)
- 2 pairs of shorts such as bermudas.
- Socks: 4 pairs of wool and 4 of fiber (coolmax) for the trek (avoid cotton as these can retain water)
- 1 sun hat and sunglasses
- Personal medications and toiletries in small containers
- Sunscreen for your skin and lips
- Insect repellent
- Moisturizer lotion to avoid the drying out of the skin
- Heated sleeping mat
- Sleeping bags which can be rented in the office for $5 per day and good for – 10°C.
- Professional walking sticks can be rented in the office for $2 per day
- Energy foods: chocolates, granola bars, dried fruits, etc. (they can be purchased in Cusco.
Prices 2017 Choquequirao Traditional. 5 DAYS / 4 NIGHTS.
|Number of People||2||3||4||5||6 or more|
|Price per person in $||$ 815||$ 735||$ 690||$ 640||$ 575|
If you wish to travel alone, you need to ask for a private tour, letting us know which date you wish to leave, and you must make your reservation a week ahead of time so that we can organize your tour.
If you wish to go with other people, we can let you know what dates are available and you can join an existing group.
Write to us to make your reservation and we will send you the form and the payment conditions