This is an ancient trek, which offers marvelous scenery and is less travelled than the Inca Trail. On this trek, we can appreciate a progression of the diverse types of ecological zones such as subtropics and glaciar peaks, finally arriving at the lost city of the incas, Machu Picchu.
|PROGRAM||BASIC – SALKANTAY – MACHUPICCHU|
|LENGTH||4 Days /3 Nights|
|AVAILABILITY||March to December|
|DIFFICULTY STAGES:||DIFFICULT – MODERATE – RIGOROUS|
DAY 1: CUSCO — MOLLEPATA – SORAYPAMPA – WAYRAQPAMAPA.
On this first day, we will leave the city of Cusco very early in our private transport to the village of Mollepata where we will stay for a half hour to have our breakfast. After we continue our trip in a new car until Soraypampa (3900msnm) where we begin our trek until Salkantaypampa (4100 msnm) where we will have our lunch. Later we continue our ascent to the Salkantay pass (4600msnm) where we can appreciate very closely the mountain that has an altitude of 6272 msnm). From here, we begin to descent for some 2 hours until we reach our first campsite, Wayraqpamapa (3950msnm).
Meals: Lunch, Dinner
DAY 2: WAYRAQPAMPA – LA PLAYA – SANTA TERESA.
Today, we continue our descent, from the mountain range to the cloud forest where we enter a more tropical zone, humid with more vegetation. Our walking time will be 6 to 7 hours but we will take our lunch on the road before we reach the small village of la Playa (2100msnm). From here, we will take our transport to the village of Santa Teresa (1700msnm), where we will have the opportunity to go relax at the most beautiful baths of all Peru, those of Cocalmayu. Later, we return to the village to make our campsite.
Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
DAY 03: SANTA TERESA – AGUAS CALIENTES.
When we get up on this day, we continue our trek through the valley and along the Vilcanota River for approximately 3 hours until we reach the hydroelectric plant where we will have our lunch. From here, we can appreciate the nearby Inca site and later we can visit the small archaeological site of Intihuatana before continuing to walk another 10 km more along the train tracks to the town of Aguas Calientes, where we can rest in a comfortable hostal and later have dinner in a restaurant.
MEALS: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner. (Restaurant).
DAY 04: AGUAS CALIENTES – MACHU PICCHU – CUSCO
The most important day of trekking, when we get to know the historical sanctuary of MACHU PICCHU (2400msnm), a Wonder of the World. On this day, we will plan to leave very early to take the first bus to Machu Picchu which leaves at 5:30 so that we can be at the citadel early to see the sun rise. In this place, we will have a thorough explanation of the Inca construction, at a time where there will be the least number of people. Later, many more people from the city of Cusco will arrive. We can also secure our entry to the mountain of Waynapichu from where we can appreciate Machu Picchu from a different vantage point. Later, we will again descend to the pueblo of Aguas Calientes to take our return train to Cusco, and then return you to your hotel. End of our services.
Meals: Breakfast in the hotel.
The time of hiking will depend on the group. The guide can change the places for having lunch and camping according to the physical condition of the group.
Each guide has his own way of leading his groups but always his decisions will be for the benefit of the tourists.
If you would like an extra night in Aguas Calientes please let us know at the time of your reservation so that we do not have problems with your return train tickets.
SALKANTAY. This is an adventure tour that we must enjoy, to the maximum with good weather or, if not, always we must have an open mind, a positive attitude and a good sense of humor.
- An explanation two days before departing
- Tranport in private bus to the start of the trek
- Transfer to your hotel on return
- Transfer from Ollantaytambo to Cusco.
- Meals according to the program (Vegetarian available)
- Boiled water on all days for your bottles
- Snacks before trekking
- Camping tents(four seasons tens), for 2 and 4 persons depending on the requirements
- Camping equipment, dining tents, kitchen, tables, chairs
- Cook and assistent cook
- Kitchen/eating utensils
- Pack animals (mules and horses) to carry the baggage and equipment.
- Emergency horse
- Wranglers to care for the pack animals
- Professional guide who speaks English, Spanish and Quechua
- Assistant guide for groups larger than 8 people
- Last night celebration dinner in Aguas Calientes in a restaurant.
- Entrance into Machu Picchu.
- Transport fron la Playa to Santa Teresa.
- Transport to hot spring.
- Entrances to the hot spring
- Bus up to and back down from Machupicchu.
- Return train ticket to Cusco
- Hotel in Aguas Calientes with private bathroom and hot water
- First aid equipment and oxygen tank
- Breakfast the first day
- Lunch the last day
- Tips for personnel: guide, cook, wranglers (according to their job)
- Sleeping bags (they can be rented in the office)
- If you would like to rent an additional horse, the cost is $10 per day
WHAT TO BRING ON THE TREK
- 1 small nylon reinforced backpack to carry the things you need for the trek (camera, drinks, etc.)
- 1 large backpack or suitcase to keep the things you don‘t need in your hotel in Cusco until you return from your trek
- Sleeping bag good for -5°C (which can be rented in Cusco)
- Small flashlight and extra batteries
- 1 water bottle (1 liter) or a small plastic throw away bottle
- Hiking boots
- Tennis shoes
- 1 jacket (of nylon with hood and water and wind resistant)
- 1 Fleece Jacket
- 1 pair of gloves and hat of wool (they can be bought during your trip)
- 3 or 4 short sleeved shirts (preferably “dryfit” that don’t retain water)
- 2 pairs of shorts such as bermudas.
- Socks: 4 pairs of wool and 4 of fiber (coolmax) for the trek (avoid cotton as these can retain water)
- 1 sun hat and sunglasses
- Personal medications and toiletries in small containers
- Sunscreen for your skin and lips
- Insect repellent
- Moisturizer lotion to avoid the drying out of the skin
- Bathing suit for the thermal baths in Aguas Calientes
- Heated sleeping mat
- Sleeping bags which can be rented in the office for $5 per day and good for – 10°C.
- Professional walking sticks can be rented in the office for $2 per day
- Energy foods: chocolates, granola bars, dried fruits, etc. (they can be purchased in Cusco.
2022 Prices SALKANTAY 4 DAYS 3 NIGHTS.
THE COSTS ARE ALMOST THE SAME BECAUSE THE TRANSPORT TO SORAYPAMPA IS MORE EXPENSIVE.
|Number of People||2||3||4||5 – 6||7 – 8 more ask for price|
|Price per person in $||$||$||$||$||$|
If you wish to travel alone, you need to ask for a private tour and must let us know when you make your reservation
If you wish to go with other people, we can let you know what dates are available and you can join an existing group.
Write to us to make your reservation and we will send you the form and the payment conditions
Students: $30 U.S. (only for students who have a current international student card (ISIC card)
Children: $30 U.S. (minors of 16 years with proof of passport