GLACIER QUELQQAYA PERU – QUELCCAYA ICE CAP IN PERU – TOUR QUELCCAYA The Quelccaya Glacier, a circuit recently proposed by the Peruvian Government, is one of the tourist trekking activities in the city of Cusco. Quelqqaya in Peru is the largest tropical glacier in the world. with a length that exceeds 17 kilometers, includes 44 square kilometers and a layer of ice more than 200 meters thick. located in coordillera del vilcanota south east of the city of Cusco province of canchis. from 4900 and 5100 meters high at the base of the glacier to 5650 in the highest part, For this touristic circuit, we do not need to climb the glacier, our program is organized to make a walk on and appreciate the glacier itself. On the route of the tropical glacier Quelccaya is home to countless species of wildlife such as alpacas, llamas and vicuñas. These Andean camelids are of great importance for the populations near this area. viscachas, (family of chinchillas), Huallatas, (Andean geese) mountain caracaras, (feeds on dead animals, insects and earthworms). etc. It is formed by U-shaped valleys, glacial veins in the volcanic rocks and beautiful lagoons in the Cordillera Blanca of the Vilcanota mountain range. Although you can hike to the top of the Quelqqaya Peru Glacier all year round, we recommend doing it during the dry season, between April and November. This is when there is a favorable air temperature in the Central Andes.
Day 1: Cusco – Pitumarca – Sibinacocha – Phinaya
At 0700 AM, we will be picking you up from your hotel in the City of Cusco. We will then embark on a three hours drive in our private transport to Pitumarca. We will be having a brief stop here so you can buy some last-minute supplies for this two-day trek to the glaciers in the tropical Andes.
All set, we will be driving to Ofecina Valley. You will witness the typical bucolic landscape of the Andes of Peru, surrounded by great mountains and herds of llamas grazing next to their shepherds. We will continue driving to Chilca Valley where we will climb to the highest point of the first day, Jahuaycate Pass (5070m/16634ft).
During this journey, you will have captivating views of the highlands of the Cusco region surrounded by snowcapped Andean peaks. We will be reaching Sibinacocha lake by noon. It flows right next to the picturesque Yayamari Mountain.
At 0100 PM, we will be reaching Phinaya (4700m/15419ft). We will be checking into a local family house where we will be spending the night. After lunch, we will be driving for 30 minutes to explore the Parque de Los Glaciares (Glacier Park). After witnessing the sunset in Cascara lagoon, we will return to Phinaya.
Day 2: Phinaya – Exploring Quelqqaya – Cusco
At 0600 AM, we will wake you up to a cup of freshly brewed coca tea of Peruvian coffee. By 0745, we will begin our hike up the hill through Ruyta Wetlands. After two hours of climb, we will be reaching the Ch’allpa lagoon. You will get a stunning sight of Ausangate Mountain from here.
We will have a short break here and continue hiking for two more hours to the Quelccaya glacier lagoon. We will begin exploring the glacier in all its magnitude. Then we will hike further to the viewpoint where we can see two lagoons, one chocolate-colored and the other turquoise, on the foothills of the stunning snow-capped Quelccaya Peak.
We will be having our box lunch here and start descending to Ruyta Valley. On this section of the trek, we will be passing through terrains home to Vicuñas and Alpacas. We will be finishing the trek by 0300 PM.
We will then return to Phinaya at dusk and start our drive back to Cusco city. We will be reaching by 10:00 PM.
- An explanation two days before departing
- Tranport in private bus to the start of the trek and return to Cusco
- Transfer to your hotel on return
- Meals according to the program (Vegetarian available)
- Boiled water on all days for your bottles
- Snacks before trekking
- Camping tents for 2 and 4 persons depending on the requirements
- Camping equipment, dining tents, kitchen, tables, chairs
- Cook and assistent cook
- Kitchen/eating utensils
- Pack animals (mules and horses) to carry the baggage and equipment
- Professional guide who speaks English, Spanish and Quechua
- Assistant guide for groups larger than 8 people
- Entrance tickets to Finaya
- First aid equipment
- Oxygen tank
- Breakfast the first day
- Dinner the last day
- Tips for personnel: guide, cook, wranglers (according to their job)
- Sleeping bags (they can be rented in the office)
- If you would like to rent an additional horse, the cost is $10 per day
WHAT TO BRING FOR YOUR TREK
- 1 small nylon reinforced backpack to carry the things you need for the trek (camera, drinks, etc.)
- 1 large backpack or suitcase to keep the things you don‘t need in your hotel in Cusco until you return from your trek
- Sleeping bag good for -20°C (which can be rented in Cusco)
- Small flashlight and extra batteries
- 1 water bottle (1 liter) or a small plastic throw away bottle
- Hiking boots
- Tennis shoes
- 1 jacket (of nylon with hood and water and wind resistant)
- 1 Fleece Jacket
- 1 pair of gloves and hat of wool (they can be bought during your trip).
- 2 or 3 short sleeved shirts (preferably “dryfit” that don’t retain water).
- 2 pairs of shorts such as bermudas.
- Medias: 4 pairs of wool and 4 of fiber (coolmax) for the trek (avoid cotton as these can retain water)
- 1 sun hat and sunglass (we will hake in the glecier)
- Personal medications and toiletries in small containers
- Sunscreen for your skin and lips
- Insect repellant
- Moisturizer lotion to avoid the drying out of the skin
- Heated sleeping mat
- Sleeping bags which can be rented in the office for $8 per day and good for – 20°C.
- Professional walking sticks can be rented in the office for $2 per day
- Energy foods: chocolates, granola bars, dried fruits, etc. (they can be purchased in Cusco.
Glacier Quelqqaya Peru 2022 – Prices
Please, contact us for pricing. You can send us an email, use our contact forms or give us a call.